In 1920, Elijah Cheruiyot Chepkwony, a young Nandi Nyongi working in Eldoret wrote a letter to Habari asking for a Government school to be established in Nandi District. The request was prompted by the establishment of a government school in Machakos and the failure of the missionaries to do the same for the Nandi people. CMS (Christian Missionary Society) had tried to begin tried to establish a station at Chebisas (1909-1912) but failed due to tribal indifference towards the newcomers. There was the same indifference towards AIM (African Inland Mission) who tried to set up a mission station at the same place in 1914. Elijah was advised to take the matter up locally but in 1922 he returned to the attack with another letter to Habari. However, he realized he was having little success. He therefore formed a small inter-denominational group at Kapsabet where he was then working as a junior government employee. The group under the leadership of Elijah and Simon Tomno, continued pressing for a Nandi school. They recognized that the Nandi people had hitherto refused to support missionary efforts to establish schools chiefly because of missionary opposition to such tribal customs as initiation, and that the elders would be more favorably inclined to a secular institution where religious instructions could be given on a voluntary basis and where no attempt would be made to interfere with Nandi customs. thOn February 4 , 1925, work began on a few school buildings. Elijah moved his house away from the land adjoining the eastern boundary of the township so that the school could acquire 15 acres. By March 2, 1925, enough mud and wattle huts had been built by prospective students. The school was called the Governmental Nandi Industrial School and the first principal was called G.W.B Hunting ford and the first boy to be registered was Kiplagat Arap Cheboi. The initial enrolment totaled sixty students and most of them were day scholars. This was an embarrassment as they were mainly fully grown warriors who came to school at their own leisure. Boarders were in temporary huts under the charge of a prefect called “Kitayatap Kot” The question of absence from imitation was solved by the Government. It was agreed that the ceremony could be done at a certain time and the period of seclusion shortened. Making of a monument there were four boys from Talai clan and two of them were the sons of practicing Laibons, enrolled in 1925. Deputation of pupils threatened to abscond classes unless the feared Maasais were expelled. The principal calmed their fears by pointing out that as the school was near the DC’s office, witch craft would have no effect. On November 18, 1926, the first permanent building was started. They started with a classroom and other buildings including workshops, a dormitory and the principal’s house was built later. In September, 1927, Mr. Huntingford was replaced Mr. C.E Bungey who brought with him some Kamba technical instructors from Machakos including Mulwa, Nzui and a carpenter. In 1928, the technical education was extended to include tailoring instruction under Francis Biama, the leading catholic adherent who also run an out school afterhours at his own home. The curriculum was expanded to include many more literacy subjects and with the institution of Standard Four, a scheme of work devised to cater for both formal and technical instructions. The local native council gave financial support to all these expansions. School sports were held and the school won seven first and two seconds at the Uasin-Gishu-Trans Nzoia Africa athletic meeting held in 1930. The following year, athletic success was repeated. 1933 saw a considerable increase in number of out schools especially in the location of the two chiefs- Arap Titi and Elijah Cheruiyot and the construction of the institution of Kapsabet pupils. In 1935, Mr. Chapman assumed powers in the school. He purged the school of undesirable elements by cutting married and old men. During the 1939-45 war, the school suffered from shortages of staff and materials in common with the rest of the country. In 1942, an elementary teachers training course for the Kalenjin and allied tribes was instituted. This venture put a severe strain on the principal and his assistant and created disciplinary problems. Although the District Education Board (D.E.B) was established in September 1942, the principal continued to carry out supervisory and administrative duties in the out schools. In 1943, the inter-relations committee decided that all the expenditure at Kapsabet School should be borne by the Central Government. In 1946, the school fee was sh.10.00 per head and the total collection was only sh.1417.00. In 1948, the school was elevated to become a junior secondary school, and it was laid down that future developments would be on academic lines with Tambach catering for technical instructions. Mr. J.M Popkins was appointed to take charge of T3 training for student from Kalenjin and Maasai communities. A sh. 20.00 was imposed. This was to be increased annually by sh. 5.00. There was a tremendous increase in out-of-class activities such as scouting, first aid instructions, debates, cinema shows and singing competitions. Many of these were held in the new dining room with an attached kitchen which had been completed in 1947. In 1949, Mr. Jack man first old boys association and this helped to maintain contact with former students. In the same year the main water supply was connected and there was introduction of a second stream as well. In 1952, form three was started in the school. In 1954, the first forth formers took KASSE (Kenya African Senior School Examination) and over 50% passed. In the same year, a former pupil and practicing teacher, Mr. Paul Kipkorir Boit was the captain of the Kenyan team at the empire games. In 1955, his brother Silas Boit led the first Kenyan team to compete in Olympic Games. In the same year T3, training was abolished and the school was to be a secondary institution.in 1958, the school was placed under the direction of the Board of Governors drawn from the districts of the upper rift.in the same year, Mr. Flay took over as the headmaster. In the same year, there was one student in grade one but in 1959 the number went up to seven. Mr. Flay founder of the school farming Maridadi shirts for the weekends lights to school, Banco beds and greatly improved the relationship between the teachers, the students and the community at large. In 1963, Mr. Ayton took over from Mr. Flay. In 1964, Mr. John Allan took over. There was no further development until S.K Ngeny took over. He introduced Harambee fundswhich made I possible for the construction of a school library, two dormitories and five classrooms. It was also during this time that the school got “A” level classes. He constructed two “A” level laboratories and six teacher’s houses. In 1975, Mr. Kimunai was appointed the new head master. With the help of building funds he managed to construct four more classrooms, physical science laboratory and two more dormitories. He stayed in the school until 1979 when Mr. Gill took over. Mr. Gill did a lot of renovation in the school. In 1982; Mr. Singoei took over from Mr. Gill. He initiated a fund to give a face lift to the school. Through the parents, students and teachers’ association, he managed to raise over sh.400, 000 which was the base for the Thirteen million projects. The projects consist of a new administration block, tuition facilities, boarding facilities, teacher’s houses and a new school bus. The target could only be reached if the Old boys contributed morally and financially. Mr. John Mackenzie took over from Mr. Singoeiin 1985. During his time, Mr. Mackenzie restored in the school which translated in improved examination results. In 1993, he organized for a Harambee to raise funds for library books which realized over sh.500, 000.00. Mr. E.K Lagatt took over in 1994. He managed to maintain discipline in the school. Over the past few years the school managed to realize some of the best results in K.C.S.E since the 8-4-4 began under his leadership. In 1995, the tuition complex was officially opened by His Excellency President Daniel Arap Moi.